Extending our devices screen to a mirror sounds like something out of a movie, and while there has been a few smart enabled mirrors they either extremely expensive or never become something you can buy. Now one person has built a smart mirror, and place instructions and the necessary code to create your smart mirror. The mirror is motion controlled so you can gesture up, down, left, right, and a few other ways to move widgets and refresh the information.
The Hardware includes:
- Two Way Mirror
- Raspberry Pi
- Camera (He’s using the NoIR, but any camera should do)
- LED Monitor (Preferably that cover the whole surface of your two-way mirror)
The idea of building your smart mirror on a budget is fascinating, and if you understand a little code, you should be able to get going. I love the idea of waking up in the morning getting dressed, fixing my hair, and all the while I was checking the weather or take a photo of myself that day.
These are the widgets currently developed for the mirror:
- Photo : take a photo and upload it to Dropbox
- Map : display local Google Map
- Cinema : movie time of local theater
- DoodleJump : play the game (hard with the latency)
- News : show international news
If you have a little extra time and want to have a motion controlled mirror, check out the Github for all the instructions and code.
Tell us in the comments below if you’re going to build a smart motion controlled mirror and what gadgets you used to create the mirror with!